As spring turned to early summer, and early summer flourished into late, I’ve enjoyed making thorough use of the growing abundance of flowers that come at these wonderful times for Cathy at Rambling in the Garden‘s ‘In a Vase on Monday’ challenge. My arrangements have got bigger, grander, more experimental and more confident with every passing week, a far cry from the simple posies that represented my earliest attempts. However, as often happens when getting a vague handle on a new skill, I got over-confident and last week I produced a vase that I wasn’t happy with at all. The individual flowers in this vase were all quite beautiful in themselves; it was the confluence of these flowers that was the failure. They just didn’t go together.
So this week I thought I’d go back to basics. I put away all my beautiful vases, and took out five or six clean, empty jam jars. I filled them with water and set them out on the garden table. Then I went around the garden with my scissors and started to fill the jars; but this week, I gave myself a rule, which was that each jam jar could contain no more than three different flower types. Oh, I did have fun. I might continue to set myself this challenge from time to time in the future.
Then I placed my jars in various spots around the house. A big, grand vase of flowers is a very fine thing indeed, but a wee jar of simple flowers in every nook and cranny is a different delight altogether.